FA Cup: Sutton 1-0 Leeds

Jamie Collins is mobbed by Sutton United fans after the FA Cup win over Leeds

Garry Monk's team selection backfired as Jamie Collins' unanswered penalty humbled Leeds and fired non-league Sutton into the fifth round of the FA Cup for the first time in their history.

Collins kept his cool from the spot (53) after a mix-up between Leeds goalkeeper Marco Silvestri and defender Lewie Coyle saw Maxime Biamou upended as the part-timers, who famously ousted top-flight opposition back in 1989, made fresh memories at the expense of the Championship heavyweights.

The hosts had seen an early Roarie Deacon goal disallowed and been thwarted by a series of Silvestri saves but the breakthrough, when it finally came, was richly deserved and a Leeds' young side - who saw Liam Cooper sent off late on - never really threatened to force even a face-saving replay.

Fans flooded Gander Green Lane's 3G pitch at the final whistle as Paul Doswell's National League side - 84 places below their opponents in the football pyramid - evoked the spirit of the 1989 team that toppled Coventry to join Lincoln in the last 16.
Monk had warned of changes with a midweek game at Blackburn looming for his promotion-chasing side and made 10 of them, Stuart Dallas the only man to keep his place from a Nottingham Forest victory that had lifted Leeds third and brought greater ambitions into sharper focus.

The visitors played keep-ball in the opening stages, feeling their way around the artificial surface in the driving rain, but they were saved by an offside flag just six minutes in, Deacon racing onto Dan Spence's punt forward but dubiously ruled to have strayed by the time he blasted high into the net.
A long Nicky Bailey ball caused fleeting panic but Silvestri was forced into action with 12 minutes on the clock when Deacon - who had scored in each previous round - swivelled and drew a one-handed stop. Bedsente Gomis was afforded a snapshot before Deacon cut inside again and took aim, only to find Cooper in the way, as amber shirts beat white ones to first and second balls.

It took Leeds until the half-hour to really test Ross Worner, Stuart Dallas glimpsing goal but seeing a curling effort deflected, yet Deacon sent Silvestri sprawling again and manager Doswell could well have felt hard done-by as he returned for the second half - steaming mug of tea in hand - without an advantage. But the man not paid a Sutton salary and in the construction trade by day was punching the air just minutes after the restart following some shambolic Leeds defending.

Silvestre darted off his line to meet Biamou but succeeded only in colliding with a dithering Coyle, the Sutton forward falling to the the turf and referee Stuart Attwell pointing to the spot. Collins stepped up and sent Silvestri the wrong way to spark wild celebrations on the old-style terraces as Monk looked on grimly.

The Leeds boss threw on Hadi Sacko and Kemar Roofe but Sutton rarely relented and the man who proved the matchwinner went close to a second when he connected with a late free-kick at the back post. Cooper's trip on Craig Eastmond moments earlier had earned him a second yellow card but Monk's men offered scant threat of wrestling back momentum before their afternoon got worse.

Attwell's whistle at the end prompted a joyous pitch invasion as humiliated Leeds made a hasty exit towards the tunnel, Sutton's triumph for a new generation ensuring that two non-league sides have got this far for the first time in the tournament's modern era.

This is a converted blog, not a website, no video streaming or broadcasting is done from this server or location
copyright White Rat Tv 2007 - 2016
Attention: Third parties may advertise their products and/or services on our website,we does not warrant the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of their contents.
Your dealings with such third parties are solely between you and such third parties and we shall not be liable
in any way for any loss or damage of any sort incurred by you.